The length of the review should be approximately 1,000 words.
The Latin American Literary Review (LALR) publishes articles and reviews in English, Spanish, and Portuguese. Reviews of books published in English should be written in English; for books published in Spanish or Portuguese, the reviewer can opt for writing it in any of the three languages of the journal.
- Book citation: A full citation of the book under review should appear at the top of the text, exactly as follows: Title of Book. By First Name Last Name OR Edited by First Name Last Name. City (& State, if needed) of Publication: Publisher, Year of Publication. ### pages.
- Reviewer’s name: Write your name and academic affiliation at the end of the review as follows: First name Last name Institution
- Spacing & margins: Double-space all text (including quoted material) throughout the review; leave margins of at least 1 inch on all sides of the text.
- Font: Use Times New Roman 11pt or 12pt; use only italics (do not underline) for book titles, foreign words, etc., per MLA format.
- Punctuation & paragraphs: Only one space should follow periods and other punctuation; paragraphs should be created with TABS or with the paragraph offset function.
- Numbers: Use Arabic numerals for chapters (e.g., Chapter 10).
- Citations: Give the page number (in parentheses) for any material quoted from the reviewed book. Non-English quotations do not need to be translated. If you need to refer to the work of another writer, please include full name and full title, with date of original publication and, if needed, page numbers in parentheses. Note: LALR book reviews do not contain footnotes, endnotes, bibliographies or lists of works cited.
Please note that the Book Review Editor reserves the right to make changes in format and style; if possible, substantive editing will be done in consultation with the reviewer. If the submitted review departs substantially from either format or focus of the journal’s current Book Reviews section, the review will be returned for revision.
The graduate assistant of the Book Review Editor will be also in touch with the reviewer regarding the shipping and reception of the book for review, as well as for any further administrative coordination.
Submission of reviews
Please send the review as an attachment (DOC or DOCX only) directly to the LALR Book Review Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org).